Master of Arts (M.A.) Program
The M.A. program at the Department of Psychology is designed to build a strong, interdisciplinary background in theory and research in the psychological sciences. The program focuses on cognitive, social, developmental, and neuroscience areas. Graduate students are expected to participate in research activities upon entering the program. To support psychological research, the university has developed strong infrastructure, including state-of-the-art research laboratories equipped with observation rooms for testing children and adults, testing rooms for psychophysical and behavioral experiments, meeting rooms, and graduate student offices. Additional facilities include the National Magnetic Resonance Research Center (UMRAM) with fMRI, EEG, psychophysics, and genetic testing facilities.
For areas of faculty research see faculty section at Faculty Members.
Admission requirements are announced by Bilkent University Graduate School of Economics and Social Sciences. For this year requirements are as follows:
1. Proof of Degree: A degree from a related undergraduate program.
2. CGPA: Undergraduate cumulative grade point average: minimum 2.80 over 4.00 or 70%.
3. English Proficiency:
- TOEFL IBT (at least 87),
- IELTS (at least 6.5 average and 5.5 from each section)
- Proficiency in Academic English Exam (PAE) (at least C).
- If you submit IELTS or Bilkent English Proficiency Exam results and you are applying for a PhD program, you also need to satisfy the foreign language requirement as imposed by the Inter-Universities Board (ÜAK) of Turkey. In that case, a minimum of 55 from YDS or its equivalents as listed by the Board, in a language other than the mother tongue must be submitted.
*Validity period for all exams: 2 years
4. Standardized graduate examinations:
a) GRE for international students.
- Minimum 302 points (total of verbal and quantitative exam scores), and 3.5 on the analytic writing.
b) ALES for Turkish citizens:
- Minimum 60 (equally-weighted)
ALES is required for resident Turkish citizens who are applying for the MA & PhD programs. Turkish citizens who are residing abroad and non-Turkish citizens are asked to provide GRE scores instead of ALES.
ALES and GRE scores are valid for 5 years.
5. Transcript: Undergraduate transcript
6. Statement of purpose: A letter describing past research experience or any other relevant experience, academic achievements, research interests, and motivations for applying for the program (Word limit: 600 to 800 words, double-spaced). In your letter, please clearly state which sub-areas (e.g., social, developmental, cognitive) you are most interested in, topics of research that interest you the most, faculty members whom you would like to with, and why you are interested in studying at Bilkent Psychology.
7. Letters of Recommendation: Three reference letters (completed online by referee) to support your application.
8. Curriculum Vitae
9. Writing Sample (optional): A sample essay in English (e.g., senior thesis project, term paper, etc.).
Application Deadline: 31 May 2021
Date of Exam: No exam will be conducted.
Date of interviews: June 15th, 2021
Based on application documents, the graduate admission committee will announce the applicants who are invited for interviews.
Preparatory classes (Scientific preparation):
In cases where the applicant satisfies all requirements but lacks some fundamental knowledge about psychology, he or she can be admitted to the program conditionally. These applicants must successfully complete a preparatory class composed of undergraduate courses within two semesters (Bilkent University Graduate Regulations clause 6). Courses taken during preparatory class are not counted toward the M.A. degree.
English language preparation:
Similarly, in case the applicant satisfies all requirements but lacks sufficient English language proficiency, he or she can be admitted to the program conditionally. These applicants must successfully complete an English language preparatory class within two semesters.