The Ph.D. program at the Department of Psychology is designed to build a strong, interdisciplinary background in theory and research in psychological sciences. The programs focus on cognitive, social, personality, developmental, and evolutionary psychology as well as neuroscience. Students may enter the Ph.D. program with or without a Master’s degree. Graduate students are expected to participate in research activities upon entering the program. To support psychological research, the university has developed a strong infrastructure, including the National Magnetic Resonance Research Center (UMRAM) as well as state-of-the-art research laboratories equipped with observation rooms for testing children and adults, a genetic testing room, testing rooms for psychophysical and behavioral experiments, meeting rooms, and graduate student offices.
Admission requirements are announced by Bilkent University Graduate School of Economics and Social Sciences. For this year requirements are as follows:
1. A degree from a related undergraduate program for the Ph.D. program without a Master’s degree. A degree from a related master’s program for the Ph.D. program with a Master’s degree.
2. Undergraduate cumulative grade point average: Minimum 3.00 over 4.00 or 75%
3. English Proficiency: MA and Ph.D.: TOEFL IBT (at least 87), IELTS (at least 6.5 average and 5.5 from each section) or Proficiency in Academic English Exam (PAE) (at least C).
Validity period for all exams: 2 years
4. Standardized graduate examinations:
a) GRE for international students.
M.A: Minimum 300 points (total of verbal and quantitative exam scores)
Ph.D (with a Masters degree with thesis): Minimum 300 points (total of verbal and quantitative exam scores)
Ph.D (with an undergraduate degree with thesis): Minimum 312 points (total of verbal and quantitative exam scores)
b) ALES for Turkish citizens: Minimum
MA : 60 (equally-weighted)
Ph.D: (with a Masters degree with thesis): 60 (equally-weighted)
Ph.D: (with an undergraduate degree): 80 (equally-weighted)
ALES is required for resident Turkish citizens who are applying for the MA & PhD programs. Turkish citizens who are residing abroad and non-Turkish citizens are asked to provide GRE scores instead ofALES.
ALES and GRE scores are valid for 5 years.
5. Undergraduate transcript and master’s transcript (if applicable).
6. Statement of purpose: A letter describing past research experience or any other relevant experience, academic achievements, research interests, and motivations for applying for the program (Word limit: 500 to 800 words, double-spaced). In your letter, please clearly state which sub-areas (e.g., social, developmental, cognitive) you are most interested in, topics of research that interest you the most, faculty members whom you would like to with, and why you are interested in studying at Bilkent Psychology.
7. Three reference letters to support your application.
Application Deadline: 24 May 2018
Date of interviews: 31 May 2018
Based on application documents, the graduate admission committee will announce the applicants who are invited for interviews.
You must bring with you two hard copies of your application if you are invited for an interview. Hard copies should be delivered to the secretary office. (Office number: H353)
Please follow the below link to apply for the program.